A beautiful, beaming smile is everybody’s dream. A healthy, white smile is the first thing that people notice. It displays confidence, high self-esteem and attractiveness. However, sustaining a white smile doesn’t come without effort. Teeth can become discoloured easily due to the food and drink consumed or through other forms of poor oral health habits. Whilst there are treatments available to rectify discolouration, it can also prove to be quite costly.
Treatments are available, notably professional teeth whitening. However, to keep teeth whiter for longer, there are many other habits you should adopt to keep the shine on your smile for as long as you want it.
The Five Tips
If you’ve recently completed teeth whitening treatment and you’re wondering how you can keep your teeth whiter for longer, follow these tips and adopt them as permanent habits:
- Alter Diet To Lighter Food and Drink – Whilst teeth naturally change in colour during ageing, dark stains stem from the foods consumed. Drinks such as coffee, dark sodas and wine are all causes of teeth becoming stained. Meat, citrus and curries are examples of dark foods containing rich ingredients that stain teeth. Add vegetables, potatoes, nuts and other healthy lighter foods to your diet.
- Reduce Your Sugar Intake – Diets containing high sugar heightens the chances of plaque and gingivitis. Sugar particles can stick on teeth, degrading the white shine. Brush or rinse your mouth soon after a sugary treat has been consumed.
- Consider Hydrogen Peroxide Mouthwash – Hydrogen Peroxide is a bacteria-killing agent. It contains a high concentration and is recommended that mouthwash is used with diluted water. The higher the concentration, the further risk on your enamel. Therefore, use the right amount every morning after brushing teeth.
- Baking Soda Toothpaste – Baking soda contains natural whitening ingredients. Another bacteria-killing ingredient, your teeth will become brighter in time. Therefore, consider commercial toothpaste containing baking soda to keep those stains off.
- Regular Brushing And Flossing – Do not underestimate the need to regularly brush your teeth and floss twice a day. Flossing should also be considered after eating a heavy meal to keep debris off teeth. Keeping debris on teeth leaves a higher chance of capturing plaque and bacteria.
Learn about how professional teeth whitening treatment can whiten your teeth instantly here
Whilst these tips should be considered to keep teeth white for longer, another important tip is to regularly visit your hygienist. Book appointments every 6 months with the hygienist for regular examinations of teeth. They are in the best place to ensure your teeth is in a healthy condition. Whilst your teeth may look white, do not neglect the health of them.
If you’re considering teeth whitening treatment, or you’re looking for further advice on keeping teeth white to meet your oral health needs, contact Wahroonga Dental Group today. We’re on hand and ready to help!