Do you wonder how long does Invisalign take to work so that you get the best results for your smile? It’s a natural question because we all want results to be as quick as possible in life, and this goes for Invisalign too.
Invisalign is just one of the other orthodontic treatments designed to give you straight teeth. At an examination, the dentist will help uncover whether Invisalign treatment is right for you. What is equally important is understanding whether you’re after a ‘quick fix’ for your teeth.
How Does Invisalign Work?
Invisalign are clear, transparent aligners made of BPA-thermoplastic designed to straighten your teeth and resolve other issues such as misalignment. As part of treatment, you’d be required to wear the aligners for at least 22 hours per day, but remove the aligners for the remaining 2 hours of the day when you need to eat and brush your teeth.
The aligner mouthpiece is moulded to fit your mouth structure as they’re custom-designed. The effects Invisalign has are similar to traditional braces, although braces are considered to be faster in terms of results. Although, if you’re self-conscious about your smile, you may consider Invisalign.
What Are The Invisalign Treatment Steps?
There are typically five steps within Invisalign treatment. The objective is to create a treatment plan that works to what you need.
- Step 1 – Introductions and Examinations – the dentist will determine whether Invisalign treatment is right for you, and your willingness to stick to the treatment plan for its duration.
- Step 2 – The Treatment Plan – the dentist will take X-rays and impressions of your teeth. This is so the records are sent to the lab to produce the custom aligners.
- Step 3 – The aligners will be in preparation
- Step 4 – Get comfortable with the aligners – the dentist will request you to return to the practice to start fitting the aligners in the mouth. Ensure you stick to the treatment plan.
- Step 5 – Complete the treatment – once the aligners have arrived, follow the treatment plan accordingly to shift your teeth
How Long Does It Take For Invisalign To Work?
During treatment, you may feel some minor sensitivity in the teeth and gums, but that’s natural because the aligners need to adjust themselves. It is anticipated that each aligner moves a tooth by up to .33 millimetres. You should expect your tooth to slowly begin to move. An aligner should usually do the job for 2 weeks before replacing them with the next set.
Again, you need to ensure that the aligners are worn for 22 hours per day, or according to the treatment plan the dentist has set for you.
Results should begin to become apparent in the first 6 weeks of treatment.
Do I Need To Wear A Retainer After Invisalign Treatment?
You’ll likely need to wear a retainer once the treatment plan is complete. This is because teeth could slowly move back to their original position pre-treatment. The dentist will help you determine the type of retainer you’ll need, and the duration to wear them for.
If you’re seeking further information on how long does Invisalign take to work, then consult your dentist and be ready for a smile transformation.