First of all, let’s quash one of the myths surrounding tooth filling treatment; they’re not a permanent solution. This is why patients ask the question: how long do fillings last?
Getting the most out of your filling has several factors to it. Notably, these factors surrounding how well you look after your filling for it to remain as long as possible.
Let’s help you get the answers to the question: how long do fillings last?
What Are Tooth Fillings?
A tooth filling is a procedure that covers any holes in your teeth. Holes in your teeth are known as cavities, and the dentist is required to clean the decayed area before applying a filling material for protection.
Tooth fillings are beneficial if the cavity has formed less than halfway down. If the hole is larger, a dental crown or a root canal may be considered to save the tooth.
Understanding The Types Of Tooth Fillings Available
There are a few different kinds of fillings to choose from. Let’s take a look at the types of tooth filling available at the dentist.
- Composite Resin – A tooth coloured substance that will be used to match your natural tooth colour. The resin material will allow for the filling to last between 7 to 10 years.
- Amalgam – Amalgam is made of metal and is stronger when it comes to damage resistance. It is a worthwhile choice if your tooth has suffered from severe decay.
- Gold and Porcelain – Gold tooth fillings are even more durable than amalgam and the strongest out of the other filling materials. They’re also the most expensive but are expected to last a lifetime. Porcelain is more lifelike and matches the shade of your natural teeth.
What Can Cause The Tooth Filing To Reduce Its Lifespan?
When a tooth filling has been applied, you need to ensure that its well looked after. Here are the common reasons why patients regularly visit the dentist to replace their initial tooth filling.
If you suffer from certain oral conditions such as teeth grinding, then this can disturb the filling but also cause further damage to your teeth. You’ll need to get this resolved to avoid regular visits to the dentist to replace the filling.
Poor oral hygiene can introduce decay around the filling, which may cause the tooth to become “dead” and beyond repair. With the tooth filling, ensure that you brush and floss your teeth gently around the filling.
Complex fillings that require tooth preparation and drilling may impact the lifespan as well.
So, How Long Do Fillings Last?
Ok, to the question you’re searching for the answer for. The simple answer is if you look after your tooth filling at home by performing strong oral hygiene, regularly visiting the dentist, your filling will last for a long time. Although, if decay begins to form in the tooth, there is more chance of the filling becoming loose.
Here are some estimated timescales of how long do fillings last.
- Amalgam Fillings – A lifespan of up to 15 years
- Composite Resin – A lifespan of up to 10 years
- Gold and Porcelain – A lifespan of up to 20 years
Ultimately, to reap the rewards of a long lifespan, the fillings need to be looked after at home.
If you’re seeking support on how long do fillings last, or how to keep them strong, consult your dentist for the very best advice!
And, if you live around Wahroonga and nearby areas, our dental team of Dentist Wahroonga is always ready to help you.