You’ve probably heard many different opinions surrounding root canal treatment. Some say a positive and some say a negative. The internet is full of myths and misconceptions surrounding root canal treatment. So, what is the real truth?
Root canal treatment is misunderstood with many articles expressing different opinions. It is hard to know what to believe. However, let the experts tell you. Root canal treatment is a popular and worthwhile solution proven to save decayed or severely damaged teeth to save your smile. Whilst you may hear myths that damaged teeth should only be extracted, this actually delivers more negatives to your oral health than a root canal.
Root canal prevents your tooth from being taken out which also helps preserve the strength of your bone. Without the strength of the bone, your teeth become loose and may even fall out. Let’s put the myths to bed once and for all.
The Key Benefits of Root Canal Treatment
Here are the key benefits of root canal treatment to your teeth and oral health:
- Reduces The Spread Of Infection – Tooth decay is typically caused by infection from cavities and bacteria. A root canal removes the bacteria and the dentist will clean and disinfect the area. Your neighboured teeth will no longer be in danger of catching the spread of infection. With infections, it can have a significant impact on your overall oral health.
- The Damaged Tooth Is Saved – The purpose of root canal treatment is to save as much of what remains of the tooth. You don’t need to worry about having a gap in your teeth or forking out for expensive treatments such as dental implants to fill the gap.
- The Jawbone Continues To Stimulate – Whilst preserving your tooth, the strength of the jawbone is also preserved. If the jawbone begins to degenerate, your teeth will slowly start to fall out and your facial structure will also change. The strength of the jawbone is essential because it plays a key role in keeping your teeth and structure strong.
- It Improves Your Overall Oral Health – Although a basic benefit, it is probably the most important. Tooth decay severely affects oral health which could lead to further health complications such as heart disease, respiratory infections and dementia amongst others. Root canal aims to protect your teeth to make way for a beautiful smile.
- The Procedure Is Painless – One of the myths from past research is that root canal treatment is painful and causes illness. The only discomfort you’ll experience is during recovery. Local anesthesia is applied during treatment to numb the infected area whilst the dentist gets to work. Root canal patients are six times likely to describe root canal treatment as painless compared to tooth extraction.
What are the common myths and misconceptions of root canal treatment? Find out here!
Along with preserving oral health, it also helps you save money. If the decision is made to extract the tooth, it’s more likely you’ll need to fork out for further treatment to fill the gap such as implants or a filling. If you suffer from a decayed or damaged tooth, always consider root canal treatment first before any extraction procedure.
Are you looking for the best solution to your oral health? Consider root canal treatment. Contact us at Wahroonga Dental Group and get yourself booked in with your local dentist now.